Basic data about the Institute
- Center for Architecture and Housing;
- Center for Spatial Development and Environment, and
- Center for Information Technology, Publishing Activities and Education.
The Institute has 40 full-time permanent employees of various professional orientations (30 of which are holders of scientific, research or professional titles). It also gathers many visiting associates - experts in specific fields.
The Institute has been established with the aim to deal with research and educational work, as well as work on comprehensive projects in the field of architecture and urban planning. In previous period, due to specific conditions of financing scientific research projects, greater results were achieved in professional work, particularly in architectural and urban designing, as well as spatial and urban planning. In the last 15 years the Institute has achieved greater scope and noticeable results in the scientific and research work.
The Institute of Architecture and Urban and Spatial Planning of Serbia is registered for scientific, research and professional work in the field of architecture, urban and spatial planning, which includes the following sub-fields:
Scientific research work
- Research in the field of improving spatial and urban planning (planning theory, methodology and techniques, institutional, normative and organizational aspects, implementation, monitoring, information systems, databases, indicator systems, etc.);
- Research in the field of urban economy, land policy and locational rents; regional development, demographic movements, socio-economic aspects of spatial and urban development, etc.;
- Research in the field of spatial development of special purpose areas (tourism, mining, natural and cultural heritage, water management, infrastructure corridors, etc.);
- Research in the field of sustainable development, environmental protection and improvement;
- Research of public participation in the decision-making process in the field of spatial and urban development, local legislation, etc.;
- Researches in the field of urban renewal and reconstruction, architectural and urban heritage;
- Research in the field of suburban and rural areas development,
- Research in the field of sustainable development of spas in Serbia;
- Research in the field of housing and utilities industry and utility infrastructure system;
- Research in the field of architecture, housing, construction, cultural heritage protection, energy efficiency and bioclimatic architecture, and alike;
- Application of original purification systems in residential buildings,
- International scientific and professional cooperation;
- Participation in university teaching activities and other educational forms and advanced training;
- Transfer and application of scientific achievements;
- Researches in various forms of hazard for the planning and construction needs, etc.
Development of spatial and urban plans
- National (Republic) spatial plans;
- Spatial (sustainable) development strategies;
- Integral development plans and programs;
- Spatial plans of regions;
- Spatial plans of special purpose areas (tourist complexes, national parks, valuable cultural heritage complexes, industrial and mining zones, agricultural complexes, water supply zones, military complexes, etc.);
- Spatial plans of infrastructure corridors;
- General (urban) plans of towns and settlements of urban character,
- Detailed and regulation (urban) plans;
- Space development requirements together with urban development and technical requirements for design and construction;
- Urban designs of particular entities (social, commercial and specialized centers, school complexes, residential blocks);
- Concepts of regulating rural settlements and areas;
- Studies and designs for redevelopment, revitalization and remediation of urban and historical heritage (old city cores, archeological localities, etc.);
- Space development programs;
- Analyses for adapting spatial and urban plans to the needs of defense, protection against war operations, protection against natural disasters, etc.
Architectural and urban design, in other words, making investment and technical documentation for the following structures and spatial entities:
- Residential settlements, blocks and buildings;
- Public buildings and complexes (administrative, cultural, school, medical, commercial, sport, traffic, and other structures);
- Industrial and agricultural buildings and complexes;
- Agricultural complexes and structures;
- Free space landscape development;
- Reviews, revisions and feasibility assessment of designs;
- Making pre-investment studies and investment programs;
- Supervising and representing investors.
Sustainable development, environment, utility systems:
- Strategy, plans, programs and sustainable development policy;
- Strategic environmental impact assessment,
- Environmental impact assessment studies,
- Waste management studies and plans at municipal and regional level
- Studies on selecting hazardous waste disposal locations, hazardous waste transportation and landfill management (at national and regional level), etc.
Consulting, engineering, management, marketing in spatial development, exporting intellectual services, publishing activities, spatial (geographical) information system.
The Institute has a status of state-owned institution. It operates from the building of technical faculties in the street of Bulevar kralja Aleksandra 73/II, the surface area of premises approximately 570.00 sqm, and has also its business premises in the street of Grčića Milenka 1, the surface area approx. 100.00 sqm.
Fields of work covered by the Institute mostly fall within the government competence and include the so-called public sector (urban planning, spatial planning, environmental planning, housing, utility industry, and alike), while to smaller extent it also covers some activities that may be directly commercialized on the market (investment projects, building materials, etc.). In most of the European countries, there are institutes that most often operate on public funding and are less often privately-owned. The Institute (IAUS) is the only institute in the Republic which is accredited for scientific work in the field of architecture, urban and spatial planning.