The scientific research work of the Institute in the forthcoming period will continue to be developed mainly within the basic activities of the Institute. Following professional structure and professional affinities of available personnel, the research work will be oriented towards the most important development, scientific and technological priorities of the Republic.
The scientific and research services offered by the Institute both on home and foreign markets may be classified under the following (sub) fields:
Spatial planning and regional development
- Institutional, organizational and normative aspects of managing spatial development in Serbia,
- Territorialization of regional development,
- Urbanization and settlement development,
- Metropolitanization and other forms of concentrating activities, population and physical structures,
- Big investment projects (feasibility assessment, external effects, etc.),
- Spatial distribution of industry,
- Territorial uneven development, rural development and demographic emptying of hilly and mountain areas,
- Big infrastructure systems,
- Development of "special purpose" areas (special natural values protection, tourism, water management, mining, industry, energy supply, etc.),
- Landscape and landscape values,
- Energy efficiency, implementation of renewable energy sources,
- Environmental quality and quality of living in spatial development, etc.
Urban planning and rural development
- Urban norms and standards,
- Normative-legal regulation,
- Institutional organization,
- Urban economy and land policy,
- Socio-economic processes in urban communities,
- Ecological research in urban communities,
- Space landscaping,
- Urban heritage and urban structures,
- Rural-Urban-Continuum (city and its hinterland),
- Rural areas organization and development,
- Industry and the urban environment,
- City centers - forms, facilities, functions,
- Rationalizing organization and urban environment development,
- Feasibility assessment (economic, social and ecological) in spatial planning and development,
- City infrastructure systems,
- Bioclimatic and energy rational planning,
- Problem area of city public utilities, etc.
Architecture and construction
- Standards and norms in designing and construction,
- Functional, aesthetic, economic, social, ecological and other criteria in architecture,
- History of architecture and architectural heritage,
- Building materials and construction technology,
- Rationalization in construction,
- Rationalization in using architectural structures,
- Structural systems and stability of structures,
- Researches related to specific groups of structures (industry, agriculture, administration, culture, services, finance, etc.),
- Pre-investment studies and investment programs,
- Ecological architecture research, bioclimatic architecture, energy efficiency, etc.
- Norms and standards for housing,
- Parameters for selecting locations intended for housing construction,
- Valuation of flats, residential buildings and residential blocks,
- Functional, aesthetic, ecological, social and other criteria in planning, designing and using flats,
- Revitalization of substandard residential zones ("poor areas"),
- Improving organization of housing construction,
- Methods and techniques in designing and construction of flats, etc.
Sustainable development and environment
- Sustainable development strategy, plans and programs,
- Environmental protection strategies and regional and local development policies,
- Aspects of environmental protection in sustainable development studies,
- Aspects of environmental protection in spatial planning,
- Aspects of environmental protection in construction and housing,
- Strategic environmental assessment of plans,
- Study on environmental assessment of projects,
- Ecological risk assessment,
- Environmental indicator development and monitoring,
- Methods for integration of planning and eco-management systems,
- Hazard (risk) assessment in emergency conditions, etc.
Information technology support
- Developing geographic information system (GIS),
- Databases - collecting, systematizing, storing and distributing data; indicator system,
- Connecting to other databases and information systems, etc.
Publishing activities and education
- Journal "SPATIUM",
- Journal "ARHITEKTURA I URBANIZAM "
- Monographs and other special issues,
- Organizing scientific gatherings,
- Participation in scientific gatherings in the country and abroad,
- Basic and postgraduate studies (participation in realization of teaching activities),
- Organizing seminars, courses and other educational forms, etc.
The Institute together with other institutes, faculties and its research associates disposes of sufficient research and technological resources for realization of projects and activities in the mentioned fields of research.